My sewing projects are progressing slowly up here on the mountain. For obvious reasons, I didn’t bring a huge fabric stash with me from Sweden, so my projects tend to be well planned in advance and I’ve only bought fabric online for a few specific projects. So when I was cutting the pieces for my second pair of Ginger jeans and cut two front right pattern pieces, I cried like a pathetic little baby.
Karen over at Did You Make That published a brilliant list of fury inducing sewing f*uck-ups – and cutting out the wrong pieces with no fabric to spare should definitely be added to that list. I’m sure a lot of you know the feeling, and I was so close to just chucking the whole project in the bin after having spent ages on the floor cutting. But, with a low fabric stash (and also pretty limited funds to spend on sewing), I got over it and started thinking about solutions. Enter: Dylon Fabric Dye….
I happened to have some black Dylon fabric dye with me, and having dyed jeans before I figured it would solve the problem pretty well. Having started with a traditional blue denim, the jeans started their lives looking like this:
The fit was great, but I definitely prefer mono-coloured jeans over this. Dylon dye is fantastic, it soaks through and covers your fabric completely. And I swear the jeans felt a bit softer after I dyed them. I used black thread for my top-stitching, as I think black jeans look a bit odd with contrasting thread.
Sewing these jeans also turned out to be an interesting project, because I had managed to buy jeans fabric without any lycra content – i.e. no stretch. I hadn’t realised, so when I basted my fabric pieces together, they barely fit. However, thanks to Heather’s generous seam allowance, I could just give myself some more room in the hip area, and I’m actually really pleased with how they turned out. Jeans always stretch out anyway, so I’m glad I’m starting out with a snug fit.
On my first Gingers I added 0.5″ to the rise, which I removed this time. I stuck with the 1″ I’d added to the length however, and I could probably have added a bit more. I wear them folded up in the photo’s.
And last but not least, the obligatory ass-shot… Overall I’m happy with the fit, but not having used stretch denim, my behind is slightly flattened out. Hoping it will stretch slightly the more I wear them.
Very glad I didn’t give up. I can really recommend fabric dye to anyone who find themselves in the same predicament.
Jeans are so much fun to make. I hate the prep stage and cutting all those pieces on a single layer (as it obviously can lead to mistakes being made…). But once I get going, I love the involved and detailed process. There is nothing as satisfying as a successfully executed fly front. Except maybe really even top stitching.
My next project is another awesome Closet Case Files pattern – the Kelly Anorak. Am just waiting for my fabric from Minerva to arrive in the post! I’m going to try to underline it as per Heather’s tutorial to make it a little bit warmer for winter. Not looking forward to cutting out all those pattern pieces, but as I’ve never sewn I jacket or coat before, I’m really looking forward to getting my teeth into the construction and sewing!
Hope you all have a good start to your week!