I made jeans! For someone who never thought this day would come, I’m really excited and pleased with the outcome. I would call the result a really wearable muslin. God knows I made lot’s of mistakes, and the fit is a liiiiittle bit mumsy, but I don’t care. I MADE JEANS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.
I finally feel that a 100% memade wardrobe is within my grasp (only lingerie left). Making jeans and trousers have always been a big mental hurdle for me, but decidedly less so now. When Heather Lou launched the Ginger Jeans pattern, I had a feeling that the ensuing jeans-making storm would drag me with it. And so it did.
I made lot’s of changes to the pattern. I added 0.5″ to the rise (which turned out to be a bad idea, as I think it’s what gave them a slightly mumsy look) and added 1″ to the legs (which turned out not to be enough). I then did as recommended and basted together the pieces – probably the most useful, but at the same time the most tedious part of the process. No strike that, ripping up all the basted seams was….
It was however useful, as I realised that I needed to shave off quite a bit from/flatten the crotch curve (sounds painful), and also go down about two sizes. Not sure whether this was because my fabric that was really stretchy or whether I’m just bad at taking my own measurements. Having finished them, I actually think they could be even tighter, but I’m hoping that the first wash will shrink the fabric a little bit more.
I bought this stretch jeans fabric from Stof og Stil. It’s got a nice weight, feels really comfortable on, and my beloved Janome didn’t struggle too much with multiple layers of it.
Not to go into too much detail about what I did wrong, but I’d like to make the fly zipper top stitching narrower next time, and pay more attention to the width of the two top stitching rows. I also forgot to top stitch the inseam before sewing shut the leg side seams – which makes it pretty impossible to do (i.e. I skipped it). And as my calves are a quite chunky, I could have done with with an adjustment for that, as I think it would help get rid of some of the fabric bulking up around my knees.
Finally, my big error was the waistband. I made quite a bit of sway back alterations to the yoke and back seem. But when it came to redoing the waistband, I didn’t have enough fabric left. So the waistband will need a belt at all times to keep it in check.
For the lining pieces, I decided to use a lovely flannel plaid, also from Stof og Stil. I think the colours look great together, and it’s a really soft and comfortable lining.
Next up, I really want to make the second version, view B. I’m a skinny jeans fan, so while these jeans will definitely fall into my ‘super comfortable jeans to wear every day’ category, I want something a little bit more snug and sexy.
If you haven’t tried this pattern yet – DO. Heather Lou guides you through the whole process beautifully, both in the sewing instructions, as well as in the sew-along on her blog.
- Ginger Jeans: £9.50
- Fabric: 2m fabric £20 + scraps for lining
- Notions: £4 (incl. thread, button etc)