Quick summary: I love this pattern.
I had heard a lot of good things about it in the sewing blogosphere, and was really keen to try it out. I also really admire Jenny Gordy’s work and her effortless and simple style. I think she does Scandi better than most Swedes.
My mum gave me this fabric when I was home a few weeks ago – I think it has been an old table cloth. I thought it would partner very well with the Wiksten.
The main reason I liked sewing this top was the finish. It’s the first time I’ve used french seams on a piece of clothing, and it just makes it look so much more professional. The day after I finished the top, Jen over at Grainline studio wrote a blog post on how to calculate french seams (timing!) on any project. I will definitely use this going forward, instead of finishing my seam allowances with a zigzag stitch. Oh if only one had a serger… (birthdaypresenthinttoboyfriend).
I lengthened the pattern 1 inch in the waist, which is always a good idea for tall me. Hemming curved edges still drive me mad, and this is the only part of the top I’m not very happy with. If anyone has a magic tip for how to sew curved hems without ending up with… really crappy ones, please share!
I also really like the way it’s cut in the back. I have very broad shoulders, but the top (I cut a size M) isn’t tight at all, which is quite rare for me.
If you have a bit of fabric left over, I can highly recommend sewing up this little gem. It took me about 3 hours all-in all – a very satisfying afternoon project.